View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Bug or common, quote split from word?

Bug: Word split from beginning quote

Still getting used to the differences between the Glo and my 350s, while reading today I ran across a really odd line break, after a single quote, I put red brackets around the place.

The code was simply: ‘<em>Jake!</em>’

I tried changing it to <i></i> in place of the <em></em> and the same thing happened. I tried double quotes instead of the single quote, same thing again. When I put the <i></i> around the quotes though so it read <i>‘Jake!’</i>, then it worked correctly and didn't have the weird line split after the quote.

It happens if the books is stored on the device or on the SDcard. Beginning quote should never be separated from the first word even if there is coding around the word and not the quotation mark.

Reading heavily for over 2 years on the Sonys, I've never run into this before, and the majority of books do not have the italics style include the quotes. Is this a Kobo software bug or just bad programming? Or have I been just lucky to never run into it before on the Sonys?

Edit: I also created a very short 2 page epub that will show the beginning quote on one line and the following word falling on the next line for 2 instances. There's also images showing where the bug is in the text (with a bug to indicate it, of course!), and also an image of the font settings. It happens no matter what font you use, if the beginning quote will fall towards the end of the line, it will be split. In the images I have it set to full justify, but it makes no difference if you have justify off, set to left or set to right, it happens with all settings. The stylesheet for the epub does not specify any justification at all, I left it up to the reader software.

The stylesheet is as simple as possible, the only styles used in the book are <p> and <i> for italics:
Code:

Code:
p { 
display: block;
margin-top: 0em;
margin-bottom: 0em;
margin-left: 0em;
margin-right: 0em;
text-indent: 1.5em;
 }
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'Jake'.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	105223   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo 01.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	105770   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo 02.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	105771   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo 03.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	105772  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Kobo Samples.epub (2.8 KB, 289 views)

Last edited by Ripplinger; 05-11-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote