Thread: MobileRead Discussion/Suggestion Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #140
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Since no one wants to breach the subject. I'll do it. I'm tired of too many old books. Okay I'm not really tired of old books, but every month has Classic selections within the nominations. We aren't forgetting about the Classics at any point in the year. To that end I believe having two months devoted to Classics is overkill. I think December as a Classics month is a good option. So I am lobbying the book club members to think about changing the genre/category for June. My suggestions are the following:

My suggestions for a category:
Prize Winners - I don't care which prize, it could be Nebula or Hugo or Orange or Giller or Pulitzer or something by an author that has a Nobel prize for writing of some sort (could be non-fiction/journalism at that point)
Decade - would require a single vote to start to choose a decade (I'm going to suggest the 1950s, 1960s or 1970s to start). Nominations must be for books first published in that decade 1950 to 1959 for instance. I've long held a grudge toward society that we ignore important works of art, writing, architecture, etc. from the mid-century.
Free for All(2) - this is definitely a self-centered suggestion by me, but most of what I read fits into the general fiction area
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
^ I'm with you on this. Classics fatigue...(ducks and runs for cover).
I've always thought a prize winner category was a good idea, but I think that some limit has to be put on what qualifies as a significant enough prize.

There is already a time period month in the other book club. I suppose two would not hurt though.

A totally open category might be difficult in attracting enough votes and readers. But that's just my opinion.

Looking back at the past few months, a tough summer led me to stop participating here, it seems that the requirement that the book be available as an ebook has been dropped?