View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #73
sumpin
Enthusiast
sumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to behold

Device: down to just a PW4
screensaver alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by pactel View Post
Yes.. sorry my last message got messed up.

To add or replace random screensavers, just add an 600px X 800px greyscale png file to the /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/ directory and rename it following the naming convention in the directory.

So, there are 20 default screensaver images, bg_xsmall_ss00.png through bg_xsmall_ss19.png. If you are adding another name it bg_xsmall_ss20.png, and so on. I believe you can go up to bg_xsmall_ss99.png

An easy way to add files is to copy them to the kindle in usb drive mode, then move them to the proper directory using ssh. Say you are adding your first new image named screensaver.png that you have copied to the kindle in usb drive mode.

First make the root filesystem writeable;

mntroot rw

then;

mv /mnt/base-us/screensaver.png /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/bg_xsmall_ss20.png

I usually just do a reboot to clear ssh and set the filesystem back to read only, but you can do a mntroot ro, and turn off ssh manually.

Hope that is clear.
I really miss yifan's latest pre-5.1.0 screensaver hack. What a shame to lose it! I did something essentially the same as pactel, but slightly different, that works for me very well:

cd /usr/share/blanket
mntroot rw
mv screensaver screensaver.orig
ln -s /mnt/us/screensaver
mntroot ro

You still have to follow the the naming convention but it makes it easier to manage the screensavers since they're then in the same publicly available directory as before the 5.1.0 upgrade. The link has survived multiple reboots but I'm not sure if it will survive the next upgrade.
sumpin is offline   Reply With Quote