Thread: Discoverability
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 10:55 PM   #26
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
pwalker8, here is what is going on in your Kindle app for iOS and how to improve your discoverability. Amazon can’t have a true store in the iOS app because then they would have to share sales money with Apple. They have a workaround in developing the Discover tab. You are correct in stating that all of the recommendations are populated with Kindle Unlimited or Kindle Prime options. It is not similar to what you would find on the Amazon website. However it allows people who subscribe to those services to have an option to browse and download books directly to their device. It gets around being classified as a “store.”

There are a few ways to work-around the way the discover tab is setup for improved discoverability.

1) Type the name of any book that you like into the search bar and it will bring up a tab related to that book. Then you will be able to see other related books that customers buy and it will not be only KU or Prime options.

2) Forget about the Kindle app. Amazon recommends that you setup an icon on your iOS device home screen that is a link to a website rather than an actual app. Basically it means to save the mobile version of the Kindle website to your iOS device home screen. Using this method you see recommendations based on the full Kindle catalog and not just Unlimited and Prime. And you can also buy them which you can’t do within the Kindle app.

3) Forget about the Kindle app. Just use the Safari app and go to the Amazon website for recommendations, browsing and buying.

Yes, I do understand that, though the genesis of the original post was a compare and contrast of how the Kindle app and books app handle discoverability as triggered by noticing the discover tab in the kindle app on the iPad.

I really see nothing that prevents Amazon from using their normal recommendations since when I select one of the books, it show the book and a button that lets me add the book to a list for later purchase. Perhaps there is something else that KU subscribers see on that page, but as far as I can tell, there is nothing that requires only KU books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote