View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 09:40 PM   #13
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD123 View Post
If you don't like the special offers, just never use wifi (they time-out, then you get one of the plain backgrounds with a note to connect to wifi) or pay the $20 and be done with them (that's what I did). I normally have wifi off (device in airplane mode) unless I need to download something. I download and copy over the updates from amazon over USB which works just fine.
On saturday I went to a friend's to register a new to me used PW3. Low and behold, it has Special Offers! They don't 'time out' because it's been off wifi for over 24 hours, and the screensaver is still a picture of a woman with a telescope or of some books it thinks I might like.

Having just written that, I swiped the screen to unlock the kindle and found that aeroplane mode had been switched off; but it still can't contact a wifi network as the neighbours all have secured ones, and there aren't many. Odd.

I do intend to pay up and get special offers off the device.

I was going to recommend the OP register their kindle, now I'm not so certain.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote