View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmeetsworld View Post
Hey everyone,

I have been following this forum for a while, but this is my first post (with this username, and in a long time). Anyway, I got to try out the new PRS-700 at my local Sony Style store today and wanted to share my observations.

I currently own a PRS-500 and have been holding off upgrading. I am finally getting a new one and have been debating between the PRS-505 and the PRS-700. After being able to take my memory card and try out both of the 505 and 700 at the same time, I think I will be getting the 505.

First of all, there really is a clarity issue with the 700. The screen isn't bad, and by itself is still impressive. However, when you hold it next to the 505 it just pales in comparison. The 505 screen pops and stands out, but the 700 screen keeps reminding you it is an electronic device.

The ability to zoom in on PDFs with the 700 is great, and works well. It is a really tempting feature. However, my PDFs were so clear on the 505 screen, I don't know how much I really need to zoom.

The touch screen on the 700 feels a bit "beta" like. I found myself using the hardware keys wherever possible so I didn't have to fight with the touch interface. You definitely need to use the included stylus to avoid getting mad and throwing at a wall. It is not really made for finger use.

The page turning difference in minimal. You can tell the 700 is faster, but not by enough to be a determining factor.

The sex appeal of the 700 is poor. It looks like it was made in the 80's (and not in a good way). The 505 is slick and thin, and feels great.

Lastly, Sony is continuing to support the 505 along with the 700. Because of this I will be buying the 505 since I know I can still get all the updates for reading different file formats. I just love looking at the 505 screen.

If you really want a 700 for notes, searching, and zoom, don't let the screen scare you away. It isn't bad, just not as stunning as the 505. I think Sony will find that the both devices sell well together.
I think they should replace the 505 with a "510" using the controller and upgraded RAM and CPU that the 700 has.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote