View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Has it already been determined that magnets don't do anything to harm the data or screen <...>
I may not be making myself real clear about that .... but do you see what I mean??
Well, the original Sony cover has four small magnets sewn into it at the corner edges. Of course, they are extremely weak. I more or less have decided on Velcro anyway, but I might use two small magnets to help keep the book closed.

Yeah, I see what you mean, and that is definitely one solution. I'm still tossing the idea around, right now I favor something like cable clips to wind/grab the cable and an SD/memstick holder much like this where you just sort of jam them in:

(not the prettiest version I've seen or the flattest, but one of the first that showed up in a google search)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Nice job!

I just wonder about the hollowing out process. Would it be easier if just the pages were glued into a block, without sticking them to the cover? Then you could use a jigsaw to cut the rectangular hole, smooth the edges with emery paper, then stick the block of hollowed pages to the cover. It seems like it might be less work than cutting through the pages with a knife.
That might work too - I wonder how the inner paper (which is not glued together at that point) would how up under sawing action, and how rough and straight the edges would be (not that I didn't screw up with the knife at least 4 times). Soaking the edges with a 50/50 water/glue solution is relatively easy and the knife work (at least for this size book) is not a big chore - 10-20 minutes per block, and I was taking it easy watching some TV in the background. But a really new/sharp knife is important. Old boxcutters won't, um, cut it.

Last edited by acidzebra; 09-21-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Needed to think before posting, really.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote