View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 04:07 PM   #78
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm totally lost. You said:

How are you currently (you wrote in the present tense above) using Amazon's search function to search for the new works of 50 favorite authors at once?

I'm assuming that since it's not likely you ARE using Amazon's search function to search for the new works of 50 favorite authors at once, that you're using Amazon's search function to search for the new works of favorite authors one at a time. To which my question is, "why?" Why continue to use a function that "sucks dead bunnies" for searching for new books from your favorite authors, when there search engines out there that return better results?

Unless you've found a way to replace the functionality of Author Alerts, the fact that you have a large list of authors is moot. Wherever you choose to search, you will be doing individual searches. So again, why continue to use the crappy engine (and carp about its crappiness) when you don't have to?

Because that functionality is gone and you're ready to accept the reality that it's not coming back? Because that's all you CAN do if you want to keep up with your list? Because you understand the futility of flogging a dead horse? You tell me.
I thought it was pretty clear, I use the search by publication date and then scan the results for authors whose name I recognize. I do this because I don't want to type 50 names into the search one at a time. If there are better search engines, then I'm all ears, because google sure ain't it.

As far as why complain, well maybe if enough people complain, then maybe Amazon will notice and do something about it. Probably not, but the odds are a whole lot better than if I pretend that everything is all for the best and couldn't possibly be any better [10 karma points to anyone who recognizes where that came from]. I complain for the same reason that I keep clicking on the "want this as an ebook" on Amazon for books that aren't available as ebooks. While it doesn't seem to do much good, it's better than doing nothing at all.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote