View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, people on monthly contracts generally get a good deal. It's "pay as you go" customer who pay through the nose for data roaming, although things have dramatically improved in recent years. With Vodafone I pay £3/day and can then use my usual unlimited calls and texts allowance, and my standard UK data allowance.
Are "hybrid" systems combining Cellular with WiFi available in the EU?

For example in the USA we have Republic Wireless and Freedom-pop both of which have done a good job with fairly seamless WiFi to Cellular transitions.

For example, I paid $100 for a refurbished Samsung S3 phone and entered into a basic contract where I get 200 voice minutes and 500 texts, and 500 MB of data for free.
My wife pays about $8 per month for unlimited voice and text and the same 500 MB of data.

We have free WiFi everywhere. The fast food places, the restaurants, the hotels, the hospitals, the doctor's office, etc. so that data is not usually a problem.
If however you are away from a WiFi source, on that basic free plan you are charged $.01/MB after the initial 500 MB.

There are other plans that cost more than the free one that include certain allotments of data.

In my work I used to have an air card for my company computer, but now since I am semi-retired, I just carry a Mobile Hot spot that gives out a WiFi signal for whatever device I wish to use. I use a pay as you go plan without monthly charges normally because usage is intermittent.

Last edited by frahse; 07-03-2015 at 09:16 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote