View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #387
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I'm having a mixed 'first impression'.

On the plus side:
- I like the cleaner look of Home screen
- I like quick access to Cloud, and the addition of 'Recent' sort there (as compared with Kindle Touch)
- Finally found the Go To feature on Home screen: tap 'n/n' label in bottom right corner.
- The new fonts look reasonably good, even at smallest text size
- touch response is less balky
- page turns are a bit faster than KT
- like the grouping of reading options at the top of the screen where you tap up there. Having to move finger down to the bottom to get to Aa/Go To/XRay on KT is silly.

On the minus side:
- Blacks look washed out, even with the light turned off (='all the way down'). When I get the light adjusted right, the background is of course whiter, but with the grayer text it is a bit of a wash. Is it '25% better contrast'? Really hard to say. It seems about as readable as KT.
- where is the screen capture feature?
- I miss the Home button. Would like to see a gesture for this instead (e.g. double tap in upper left corner, maybe a 3-finger pinch). You have to tap, wait a beat for the menu to come up, then tap again. I can think of several other multi-touch gestures I'd like to have for better navigation, but I don't know if there are really any prospects for that.
- The implementation of Panel View (comic books) is flawed. It always zooms the panel to fit the screen, which usually results in upscaling artifacts/fuzziness, because panels are generally less than 1024x758 in resolution. Ironically, it looks better (perfectly crisp) on my Kindle Keyboard in 'Actual Size' zoom setting. KPW lacks any zoom settings, and though you can zoom/pan, that does not let you get crisp images. For that you need to be able to get it to 'actual size' or some nice multiple of that.

On the yet to be seen:
- have only done limited 'lights out' test so far. I do see some very pale color ('reddish' and 'greenish' washes), probably prisming due to slight variation in the thickness of the capacitative layer (which is said to be sprayed on). Not sure it is going to bother me more than uneven lighting of an external light, and maybe my brain will stop seeing it over time, or maybe the screen will even out eventually.
- battery. is performance better than my KT3G?

Summary:
I was hoping to be more impressed by this point than I have been. But I'll need to spend more time with it before I can conclude whether the upgrade was worth it (or not).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote