View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #262
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by naki View Post
Hi! Thanks for writing this plugin that makes books display much more beautifully on kindles! I noticed that hyphenating an azw3 file removes ligatures

For example, the character fi (unicode U+FB01), which normally appears with the f connected to the dot of the i (with recent firmware and Bookerly font), display as separate two letters fi after hyphenating the azw3

Same for the ligatures ff, ffi, etc.. as well as with the font Caecilia Condensed (albeit less obvious). They are displayed as separate letters ff, ffi, etc... after hyphenating.

Is this an intended behaviour of the plugin, or something else?
What's happening is that soft hyphens are inserted in every word that could be hyphenated. Most likely what's happening is the letters that make up the ligatures are getting a soft hyphen breaking them up.

But I thought Kindles don't display ligatures unless your eBook was in KFX format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote