View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 09:12 AM   #120
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Fair enough. I didn't give any weight to the imagined scenarios as they irritated me; I didn't find Moore biased in her presentation of the facts. But bias is slippery; when does a reasoned POV slip into bias? By focusing on the girls rather than the legal case, for example, a tendency was established, but I didn't think that damning in itself. I still think that was the best way to approach the story.
A lot of Moore's imagined scenes with the women were supported by quotes that appeared to be taken from correspondence. I'm guessing such sources would have fed well into the sort of thing she wanted, and I would not be surprised to find a lot of her embellishments with the women had reasonable justification. Whereas, I'm still guessing, there was much probably much less personal detail available on the other side (either it was not available for she didn't go looking). One thing I find sort of amusing is that examples like the snippet I quoted above would have been just as effective (or more so) left at the simple quote of what was said (which I presume was taken from transcript). Most of her audience would have happily filled it in exactly as she wanted - we've seen enough of evasive witnesses on TV to make this stuff up for ourselves. (Whether our reactions reflect reality or not.)

Have you done additional research to verify that the facts were impartially presented? I have not done so yet, so my charge of bias must limit itself to the presentation style for the moment, but that Claudia Clark book mentioned by AnotherCat is tempting to try when I have more time.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote