View Single Post
Old 05-27-2023, 03:44 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I took a look at Pocket Posh Sudoku 18. $7.99! Does anyone else think these books are overpriced?

The listing for that book shows, "Available only on Kindle Scribe (1st Generation)." I don't have a Scribe but I was still able to add the free sample of that book to my library. Trying to download it to my Kindle Oasis or the Kindle apps for iOS or Android results in a popup error:

Unavailable for Download
The item is not compatible with this device.

So apparently even the free sample can only be delivered to a Scribe.

It is odd that Amazon allows Write-on eBooks to be delivered to a Scribe but not regular print replica books. I wonder whether there is something different about the internal format these new Write-on books.

If someone does purchase one of these I would be interested in seeing the contents of the associated .sdr file from a Scribe to look for any metadata of interest.
I purchased this book to see if I could remove DRM: yes you can. I'll get you an .sdr.

It's overpriced, especially since you can get infinite supply at https://krazydad.com/sudoku/

And you pay for a bunch of Easy puzzles that are a waste of time.

I speculate that it is a business/marketing decision on Amazon's part to withhold other Print Replica content: they're saving it for a Back To School Scribe promotion, perhaps in July (it would help if they finished the Markup PDF feature by then).

Ironically Pen toolbar does not appear for the Sample. I don't know if this was publisher's decision or some technical issue.

I tried compressing the entire sdr folder but too big to upload. Attaching the metadata.kfx, maybe that is enough?
Attached Files
File Type: zip metadata.kfx.zip (559.0 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by tomsem; 05-27-2023 at 03:57 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote