View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
kepubify 2.0 - A standalone tool to convert EPUBs to KEPUBs

kepubify
A standalone tool to convert ePubs to Kepubs

DocumentationGitHubDownloadMobileRead Wiki

About
Kepubify is a standalone tool for converting ePubs into Kepubs. I made Kepubify because I wanted to be able to quickly convert my books for use on my Kobo, and be able to use it without managing my whole library with Calibre.

Features
  • Supports all Kepub features
  • Works from the command line
  • Standalone and cross-platform
  • Fast (about 12x faster than Calibre)
  • Can update Calibre-style or EPUB3-style series metadata on the Kobo (even without reconnecting) (EPUBs and KEPUBs)
  • Can pre-generate cover images (EPUBs and KEPUBs)
  • Batch conversion
  • Update/sync mode
  • Kepubify removes leftover Adobe DRM tags, cleans up MS Word tags, and cleans up the html
  • Includes workarounds for common bugs (FullScreenReading, kepub stylesheets in 4.11.11976)

What's new in 2.0

Kepubify 2.0 now has better drag-and-drop support on Windows, an improved CLI with support for additional options, a sync mode to allow direct use with the kobo (only converts books not yet present on the destination), better logging for debugging, and many bugfixes. It also now supports various CSS tweaks such as enabling and disabling hyphenation, fixing the full-screen reading bugs without patching the firmware, and adding custom CSS.

Seriesmeta 2.0 has been completely rewritten with more options and many bugs fixed. macOS and Windows builds will come soon (I still need to figure out how to properly cross-compile releases with CGO in the CI system).

What is different about kepubs?
Kepubs are Kobo's ebook format based on the epub format. This format enables additional features such as chapter progress stats, time left, faster page turns, footnote previews, image zooming, and faster text selection. Also, ePub 3 is only supported using the kepub reader.

Installation

Windows:
  1. Download kepubify

Linux:
  1. Download kepubify
  2. Open a terminal
  3. Type cd ~/Downloads (or whatever location you downloaded kepubify to) and press enter
  4. Type chmod +x kepubify-linux-* and press enter

macOS:
  1. Download kepubify
  2. Open a terminal
  3. Type cd ~/Downloads and press enter
  4. Type chmod +x kepubify-darwin-* (or whatever location you downloaded kepubify to) and press enter

Examples
On Windows, if using the command line, change kepubify to kepubify.exe

Converting one or more books or folders of books using drag-and-drop on Windows
Drag and drop them onto kepubify.exe. The converted books will be in the same folder as the original ones.

Converting a single book
kepubify /path/to/book.epub
The converted book will be called book.kepub.epub in the current directory.

Converting multiple books
kepubify /path/to/book1.epub /path/to/book2.epub
The converted books will be in a folder in the current directory, with the same name as the original with the extension .kepub.epub.

Converting a directory of books
kepubify /path/to/books
The converted books will be in a folder in the current directory, with the same name as the original with the suffix _converted.

Converting a directory of books, but not reconverting already converted ones
kepubify --update /path/to/books
The converted books will be in a folder in the current directory, with the same name as the original with the suffix _converted.

Setting the output path for converted books
kepubify --output /path/to/put/converted/books PATHS
Replace PATHS with the path to your original books. /path/to/put/converted/books is the folder to place the converted books into.

Syncing a folder with the kobo
kepubify --update --output /path/to/KOBOeReader /path/to/original/books
Only books which have not already been placed on the kobo this way will be converted.

Updating series metadata for side loaded books on the kobo with seriesmeta
seriesmeta
On Windows, just run seriesmeta.exe.

Reporting Issues
If you find any issues or have any questions, please report them here, or send me an email at patrick (at) pgaskin.net. Include the kepubify version, the operating system you are using, and if possible, the book which you are having problems with. You can find the version by typing: kepubify --help. If possible, please also include the output of kepubify with the --verbose option.

Feature Requests
If anyone has any feature requests (including options for css tweaks), I'd like to hear them. Feel free to open an issue on GitHub or reply to this thread.

________
The old thread for version 1 is here.

Last edited by geek1011; 01-17-2020 at 08:57 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote