Thread: Helen Fielding
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Bridget Jones's Diary" is, as the author cheerfully admits, a "modern day re-telling" of "Pride and Prejudice" (did you think that it was just a coincidence that one of the main characters is called "Mark Darcy"? ), so you could always read the "original" which is, IMHO, one of the most entertaining and just plain funny books ever written!
Frankly speaking it is not for me. I didn't read any of the mentioned above books. It is for my wife. She really enjoyed all Helen Fielding's books. She liked her language and humour and ideas(such as although it is considered a chick literature, Fielding is not saying: all men pigs, but to the contrary shows how silly women might be etc.), and wifie would like to read a similar stuff, preferable written by British writers (because of the language, she is ESOL tutor, although a bloody foreigner like me ).
So far, I found two more books for her: The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger and Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golde. Although it is not the same style.
I will tell her about Pride and Prejudice.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote