View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #17
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I enjoyed your Tales of the Walker [above] - fun reading

I don't believe I have 'Dr. O,' which sounds intriguing. I'll have to pick it up when it's free. All of his books are going to be free at some time or another. Hey! He's an Indie writer, isn't he!?
I think he's doing better as an Indie writer than when he was in print, with so-called "commercial" publishers. The original paperback publisher of Dr. O was going through the usual turmoil when that one came out, so they put his pen name on the cover and IIRC his real name on the title page. And I think his self-published cover is better than the bleh Zebra cover. (It actually has Dr. O on it. )

I swear, I might still read his book on writing. Midlist writers like Walker can teach us more about writing than we realize because a lot of them have great attitudes about work ethic, fighting off writer's block, storytelling, etc. Now if only he had proofread that darn book.

I think we can learn a lot from writers who have been screwed over by the publishers. I once attended a writing conference where the keynote speaker was a local mystery/suspense author who had just lost her contract with a major paperback house in one of those "in-house sweeps" of midlist authors. She gave a great talk about what can happen when a writer who actually sells on a steady basis is hurt simply because of the industry, and she talked about important things like how specializing in a genre can help your career. I actually overheard some smart-ass writer in the audience asking "What can she teach us? She lost her contract." What?! But that smart-ass writer had never heard the word "genre" before, I kid you not. And of course, he had no contract to lose as he was unpublished.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote