View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Narrow No-Break Space and commercial support.

Hi

Looking for explanation.

Now OpenOffice and LibreOffice insert automatically the   (non-breaking space) if the user selects this option. Many French use this option.

The narrow no-break space is   http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...202f/index.htm
Its use is considered to be best according to French typographic rules. If so, it should replace the   at least for some punctuation signs. French call it: espace fine insécable.

In xhtml files, it is easy to insert the &# 8239; and to replace the  , using for example Sigil. However, ADE flags it with a question mark and so, it hinders its use for EPUBs and mobile readers.

To sum it up: Whatever may be the font I use, I can insert &# 8239;
However, I may face display problems (with ADE for example).

But.... some commercial fonts are said to offer thin no-break space support. It seems to be done in a different way because, if you use these fonts, you can display them on EPUBs and ADE will not protest.

Could somebody tell me if the sentence above is right, and if so, explain how do they perform this kind of miracle?

Last edited by roger64; 08-30-2012 at 01:23 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote