View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #306
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm grateful it now runs on iOS 5 on my iPhone 4. Alas, though, it crashes out of the box on OS 3.1.3 now. And, it's a major production to restore the old app.

I'm running an iPod Touch 2G with OS 3.1.3. So, it is important that a developer specify correctly which OSs their app works under on itunes, but also that the app check before it is installed on an i-device with an older OS!! That's what the better ones do-- they won't install. Stanza instead installs, overwrites the old version, and crashes when you launch meaning you have no ready access to your library or bookmarks.

And, the way the installation works, it moves the older, good, functioning version to the trash where it's ripe for deletion.

Now, I happened to know the work-arounds for this and how to fish out the old version... but the re-installation requires deletion on the i-device first (at least, it does under OS 3.1.3). And there go all the books. Now, if you're really into this, you can use Disk Aid or iPhone Explorer and--if you've made a backup--drag the documents folder over into the right place on the i-device. Which, I had done.

However, once you put it back into your iTunes app library, there goes your newer version. (It won't maintain two versions of the same app at the same time.) Which means a mess on the next synching.

So, while it's good they made it work with iOS 5, it's not nit-picking at all to complain that Amazon blew this upgrade--breaking it for the hundreds of thousands of fully-functional older devices that cannot upgrade their OSs or whose users choose not to upgrade. This is bad programming, bad policy, and bad iTunes notification.

Last edited by robinson; 11-12-2011 at 09:22 AM.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote