View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by santosha View Post
what regulates whether KindleGen will create a KF8 file (AZW3?) or a Mobi file from what I give it to compile?
No idea, but I've read that it might create a "dual" mobi file with both the old and new formats included. New devices will read the new format, old devices will read the old one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosha View Post
But my second question is then: If KindleGen, for example, converts CSS styling (such as the reset) to mobi-equivalents (where they exist), how will such a "style reset" convert over to .mobi?
If it converts it, it would probably add "height=0" to every <p>, <div> and <blockquote>, for example.

Quote:
Also, if I as you say might want to have an item with margins, can I override the style reset later in the CSS? I.e. does a following, specified style property override the universal selector?
With CSS yes, there are precedence rules based, for instance, on specificity. This means that a more specific style can override a less specific one. In this case:

Code:
* { margin: 0; }
p { margin: 1em; }
the "p" rule is more specific, because it has a tag name, while the universal "*" rule has none. No matter the order of the styles, the "p" will always prevail (in compliant interpreters).

You should probably read some CSS tutorial, it might help you understand how it works.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote