View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
Running apps while framework is down on kindle PW, for better performance

Hi there, I've a question.

Is there a way to run apps after setting the framework down on Kindle Paperwhite? It would be really useful to free memory with heavy apps, and the workframe could be still set on after closing the program.

I know that it was possible on kindle 3: with KindlePdfViewer for example you had just to stop the framework with:

/etc/init.d/framework stop

Then run the software, enjoy outstanding performance and executing "/etc/init.d/framework start" after it closes.

I've tried to achieve this for example with koreader, using the command:

stop framework

The problem is that after executing this, everything stops and can get through the rest of the code and make other apps launch, as I did instead on Kindle 3.
I've tried also with /etc/upstart/framework stop, but didn't work.

So I wonder if running apps while framework is down is still possible with kindle PW devices. It would be really important to me, because PW has still 256 Mbyte of RAM like kindle 3, but a really heavier firmware that waste all of this memory, so apps like Koreader continue to crash.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by Aeris; 09-29-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote