View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #82
mnha
mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Kindle 4S; Paperwhite 2012; Nexus 7.2; Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem with the poll is that it compartmentalizes how we read series. To actually gives us options for how we may actually read series, it should have been multiple choice. That's why I did not vote because just one answer is wrong for how I read series.
Personally, I find there are different kinds of series and their structure defines my reading behaviour. I'm primarily a fantasy/scifi reader and usually prefer trilogies, so bear with my choice of examples. Please.

There are the gargantuan linear series -- think Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth or Malazan Book of the Fallen -- I can only read those en bloc, which really means during vacations, when I have the time to plough through umpteen pages unmolested. I just can't enjoy them piecemeal.

There are structured linear series -- e.g. Salvatore's Drizzt or the older Dragonlance books -- which can be read one tri|tetra|pentalogy at a time. I tend to read them as such, with other trilogies in between, even if I'm in the mood to continue the series.

Other series consist of pretty much self-contained works (i.e. Riyria Revelations) -- I usually read until gorged, then throw in some non-fantasy thriller for variance.

Fourth kind of series is non-linear, like Shadowrun novel #1-n, short books not to be read in any particular order. Some good, some not. I haven't read any such series in a while, but I used to like them as "in between"-books.

All things combined, I'm great at turning easy things into very complicated matters.
mnha is offline   Reply With Quote