View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #991
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I don't know if anyone else has had this.

I've had a long standing issue with Mantano, where I've not been able to load my books that I've bought from either Baen or Books on Board in Mantano. On import, I'd get no cover and when clicking on the book it would fail to display the book.

Mantano looked at it and said that this was to do with the book structure as it generated an error in the ADE SDK. They try and see if they could baypass this and allow the books to load, but they never resolved it.

Now though I've found a solution (at least in my case).

I was messing around with one of the books to see if I could fix the problem. Creating a new book in sigil and copying the content across didn't resolve it and I ran out of sensible ideas. So then I decided to just try anything.

The book I was testing was David Weber's The Honor of the Queen (Book 2 of the Honor Harrington series). I have all my books in folders by author and then series if they are in a sereis. If the series folder I'd have all the books sorts by reading order, i.e. the book names would start with Book #01, Book #02, etc. So this book was "Book #02 - The Honor of the Queen.epub".

For some reason I thought I'd change the filename and see if that made a diffence, so I change it to "Test.epub". I then imported it into Mantano and amazingly it loaded and opened perfectly fine.

I couldn't believe it that it could be something in the filename, but it seems like one of my characters is at fault.

I reverted back to the original filename and then removed all the spaces but no joy. I then tried putting it all lower-case, again didn't work. I then tried removing the dash, again, same result. Finally I removed the hash (#) and lo-and-behold the book worked!

So it looks like Mantano cannot handle the books having a hash in the filename. This behaviour was not in the early versions but we do have it now.

So if - like me - you use hashes in your filenames, you might want to think about removing them.

I'm going to pass this onto Mantano and get them to look at this.

Last edited by ghostyjack; 09-29-2012 at 10:02 AM.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote