View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #85
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Thanks.

Isn't the manual update merely putting the upgrade file on internal memory? I vaguely remember reading about it somewhere but never really even though about until the various disastrous KT fws, and this is the only time that I've really been serious about rolling back.

(The db corruption was the other time, but I was betting that the db corruption was present in all fws up to that point as it had cropped up from time-to-time before the 1.9.8(or was it 9?) update when a bunch of us got hit with it, but that time at least the KT was useable other than the annoying message at startup.)

[EDIT]
Spurred me into a quick search and turned up:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc.../t-145177.html
...a bit more to it than I really thought that it would be... strange update system... for an embedded device that is...
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
I've got the KT charging right now, as yesterday I was so POed that I just tossed it on the desk. Once it's fully charged up, I'll try my experimenting then the resets and will post and update today or tomorrow morning. Just hoping that it works as it's sunny today(finally!) and the NC would be kinda useless and going back to the wifi would be painful(slow).

(Waiting for charge, just because I don't want brickage from too little batt charge to run the updates... generally I even run off AC if that's an option when doing updates on things...)
[/EDIT2]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 10-04-2011 at 01:43 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote