View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
With the 950, say I'm in a bookstore, and I'd like to go to my library's online catalog to see whether they have a copy (available) instead of buying one - possible?
SeaBookGuy, I tested out the browser on my local library website. It works very smoothly - better than I was expecting even! If you are in a bookstore like Borders or BN that has Wi-fi, then that's a great idea. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
That said, I chose not to buy one and get a nook color because of the feature set and Barnes and Noble store (allows downloading of samples).
SCION, I totally wish that Sony offered samples like the other bookstores. Their excerpts are weak. However, you can read BN samples on a Sony ereader with a little work. The BN samples have no DRM. Thus you can download them to your computer and then transfer to your Sony reader via USB cable. That's what I do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleidson View Post
Cool, Bookworm_Girl, those three points fully sold me out, especially the new PDF viewing. BTW, software wise, IMO, it would be feasibly possible a firmware update on PRS-900 in order to contemplate all or most of those new welcome features. Rather, Sony seems to think only of foisting a new device on us.
Gleidson, I agree that it is disappointing that Sony does not do more firmware updates.

Some other things I like about the 950 are that you can vary the contrast and brightness of the screen for both EPUBs and PDFs. I have a few PDFs that I had given up on that are now readable on my 950.

Also, the new dictionaries are impressive. There are now 12 including foreign languages. And, you can switch the dictionary within the word popup menu with a simple drop-down box. In fact, there are several places throughout the menu system where there are now drop-down boxes, and you don't have to go through the Options menu anymore. There is also a new Word Log that keeps a record of the words you look-up so you can refer to it later.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote