View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #13
niggle
niggle began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Hi Solicitious,

agreed re the pricing. (Didn't know Customs had bumped the limit up toAUD$1500 though, thought it was still $1000.) My understanding is that the purchase through the website was a direct purchase.

The $299 for the ECO reader is plus shipping, plus credit card surcharge, last I looked, bringing the total to around AUD$320, which is still better value than through BeBook's site, though the current exchange rate makes buying other readers from overseas more attractive again.

As a toe-in-the-water exercise, I've purchased a couple of inexpensive readers (Augen), and if they go well, then I can pass them on to my daughters, and following hoped-for price drops, purchase eInk readers.

There are several issues for me, price only being one of them. Quality, robustness, versatility are others.

Cheers,
Hi Solicitous/Metal Mick

I bought the Onyx Boox 60 from Dulins Books a month or so back - excellent service, and cost me $430 including shipping to Oz. Bebook sell the identical product here for $569 (Bebook Neo). Uni Co-op sell to members at $499. I had the original Hanlin V3 - same as Bebook 1 (bought from DA last year for $499). This was ok, but cheaply made and although it still works, one of the page turn buttons was getting very intermittant.

The Onyx Boox seems a real step up in quality to the Hanlin V3/Bebook 1, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. My daughter is using the Hanlin now.

I thoroughly recommend Dulin's Books if you are happy to import rather than wanting to buy locally.

Cheers - Niggle
niggle is offline   Reply With Quote