View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #1
heulwen.jones
heulwen.jones began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad
Kindle preview version not including font but 'live' version does

Hi there,

I am having the following issue with a couple of epubs I've uploaded to Kindle Direct Publishing which I'm really hoping someone can help me with?!? The bottom line is that the publisher fonts appear stripped out of the preview version but not stripped out of the version that is available for purchase?

Basically once I've uploaded these epubs to Kindle Direct Publishing they are converted to Kindle format and I am given the option to either preview them with the online viewer or download them and preview them using Kindle Previewer or Kindle Previewer v3. I've heard the online viewer is not very accurate so I always download the Kindle book and preview in both Kindle Previewer and Kindle Previewer v3.

However in this Preview version the Publisher Font (Times) is not available in either of the Kindle Previewers - so it reverts to Georgia. I spent hours and hours finding fonts that were 'Amazon/Kindle friendly' so was pretty much tearing my hair out! But then I discovered that the version that had 'gone live' and was available for purchase DID have the fonts embedded. So I thought there must be a bug in the way the 'Preview' version is generated and decided that going forward I would just check the 'final/live' version instead. This works fine EXCEPT when I make updates to a book because I cannot see the updated version of a book on my Kindle device. I can only see the original version on my device, see this article for details on how its only in special circumstances that people who have already purchased a book can get updates of that book: https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A1RGGPBKDR1BPZ

So, has anyone else had this issue where the preview version on a Kindle book strips out the fonts but the 'live' version doesn't? If so how do you check your books? Especially if its an update to a book as there seems to be no easy way to view an update of a book if you've already purchased it - you just keep getting the original version?

Many many thanks in advance to anyone who can help at all with this issue!

Heulwen
heulwen.jones is offline   Reply With Quote