View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 04:14 AM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
The issue of Windows wanting to format Kobos popped up before. I thought it was due to pickel should-factory-reset messing with the first sector of this partition

Code:
# strace /usr/local/Kobo/pickel should-factory-reset
open("/dev/mmcblk0p3", O_RDWR)          = 3
read(3, "\353X\220MSWIN4.1\0\2\10\6\0\2\0\0\0\0\370\0\0>\0i\0\0\0\0\0"..., 512) = 512
lseek(3, 0, SEEK_SET)                   = 0
write(3, "\353X\220MSWIN4.1\0\2\10\6\0\2\0\0\0\0\370\0\0>\0i\0\0\0\0\0"..., 512) = 512
close(3)                                = 0
It changes bytes 490-494 not sure how significant those are for FAT32.
Do you know what it is writing there? If I remember correctly, "pickel should-factory-reset" is checking for failed boot-to-nickel. If this fails four or five times, you get prompted to do a factory reset. pickel should be checking something that nickel sets if it starts successfully. I've always assumed that nickel sets it to zero and pickel reads and increments it each time. But, accessing it like that is pretty crude. If they were writing somewhere that wasn't previously used, then that might explain what's happening.
Quote:
But I thought the Windows detection problem was different and also affected some other devices. Oh well, if formatting really solves it, that's fine too.
I think it's changed from the preview. When I tested on an old laptop, Windows 10AU wanted me to format the Kobo device. Calibre actually found the device but complained it couldn't access the database.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote