View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock View Post
I just got a Kindle Paperwhite and I have not yet registered it with Amazon. In a way I would prefer never to do so because I put all books via calibre onto the Kindle. But it looks I need to have it registered in order for being able to organize my books in collections.
Officially, yes. Unofficially, no - if you jailbreak it and use Collections Manager.

Quote:
I am worried that once I register the Kindle all the beautiful screensavers that are now on the Kindle will get replaced with ads. Correct? Therefore I would like to save them onto my computer, disable wireless after registration, delete all ads from the Kindle and put the original screensavers on it again.
Only if you bought the SO version. Even then, you can disable the ads by paying Amazon 20(?) dollars.

Quote:
However, I don't find these screensavers on the Kindle. I have it connected to a Mac with OS X 10.8.2 and I made all invisible files visible. I therefore can see the complete file system on the Kindle (or don't I?) - and I don't find any screensavers.

Where are the screensavers? What to I do or think wrong?
You won't find them, because you're only seeing a very small part of the filesystem. To get access to all the files, you'll need to jailbreak it and access the device through USB network. The (non-SO) screensavers are located at /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/, as far as I can tell.

Quote:
My Kindle came with firmware version 5.3.0 - is there any reason to update to 5.3.1?

What is good about jailbreaking a Kindle?
About the update, it's personal preference, but I guess that in the long run, you'll be better off with 5.3.1. Concerning jailbreaking, see above.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote