View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #35
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post
What most people were saying wasn't 'in extremely remote and undeveloped areas there is little connectivity' it was 'connectivity in general is tentative, so to rely on it for anything is stupid.' My contention was that not only is connectivity nearly universal, but it is also commonly used by folks for other services such as Netflix and Pandora, so what's so off about using it for books as well? By your reasoning kennyc, since cell phone service is not universally available every where then relying on cell phones for communication purposes is foolish. I could make the same argument about electricity, TV service, and any form of connectivity that relies on networking or infrastructures that can fail or that is not available on every corner of the Earth.
Since you brought this up again, I have to say that the bolded part is very true. I live in northern CT, not exactly the ends of the earth, and I can say that here, at least, relying on cell phones as your communication source is foolish. I don't have reliable cell service at my house, and unless they live in the center of town, neither do most of the other people in my town. Please don't assume that everybody lives in an area that has good connectivity, as there are many more areas of the world that don't have it than that do. It makes you sound very arrogant and elitist to assume that if a place doesn't have reliable cell phone coverage it isn't civilized.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote