View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #15
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Two more recent books that come to mind for the writing - largely because they're consciously written to emulate "older", 19th century style - are Eleanor Catton's The Luminaries (winner of last year's Man Booker, literary historical fiction) and Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (which is ... hmm, literary historical fantasy?).

I enjoyed both books fairly well; not as much as others but more than some.

ETA: Sorry for going off-topic - neither McCarthy nor McEwan have appealed to me enough to read either, but it just occurred to me that in addition to those two, the OP might be interested in other contemporary writers that might fit the bill.

Last edited by Yapyap; 07-14-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote