View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixM View Post
I'm just starting out with Calibre. I've been trying to put some documents in my library which are PDF's. They probably have some degree of DRM, but they are licensed and allowed for printing, use on any device etc, by me (I'm a student, and this is what the copyright notice from my university says).
Calibre is great for organizing books in any format.

Quote:
When they go into Calibre, all but the first page (i.e. all the photocopied pages, which it considers to be images) are flipped/mirrored. They're all 90 rotated anyway, which is why they end up mirrored - I think it's a vertical flip that Calibre is doing.
Calibre makes no changes to PDF files when they are added to calibre.

Quote:
it's moving into Calibre that's the issue.
Moving PDF books into calibre causes no alteration to the book.

Quote:
I've done some searching, but couldn't find anything about this, just stuff about the same problem when converting from PDF. I don't mind keeping the documents as PDF's (well, at least, I know there isn't another way).

Why is Calibre doing this to my un-converted docs? How can I stop it? Thanks!
You never say how you are viewing the PDF. The only thing that makes sense is you are using calibre's viewer to view the PDFs. Calibre's viewer is an ePub viewer. Any format other than ePub is given a quick and dirty conversion to a basic epub format then viewed. So your PDF is being converted for viewing.

The solution is not to use the Calibre viewer for PDF files. Go to Preference - Behavior and uncheck the box next to PDF in the Use internal viewer for column. Now when you go to view a PDF book from calibre it will open the PDF in your default PDF viewer and not use calibre's viewer.

Good Reading.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote