View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 05:37 AM   #6
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon21 View Post
Being radical and impulsive regarding electronic devices, I decided that I would go the "clean slate" route - a recovery with ATK to 3.0.2. I loaded it on a Virtual Win XP machine. It installed fine. When I tried to follow the wizard in ATK, I got an error message: "No USB detected", as if the drivers had not installed correctly. That might be the case, and then again, might not.
I would not call it "impulsive" regarding electronic devices: In fact I consider this "radical" (which indeed means "from the roots") approach one of the easiest, at least easier than to tinker with numerous hack uninstallers and the corresponding version jungle.

Virtual machines are a bit flaky when it comes to USB. What's your host system? For me, using VirtualBox on a Linux host required me to manually re-attach the USB device after ATK made first contact with it, it would always "virtually de-attach".

You might want to give some USB/CD/DVD Linux live distro plus k3flasher a chance...

Then I think there was some possibility to log the files that the update in question finds offending.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote