View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #15
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
It seems to me that there are two questions buried in the subject line.

The stated: Why do you write?

I'm a late starter (a late bloomer? - well, I can hope). I've always wanted to write, though I can't really explain the desire. I had tried to start a few times, but it was only a few years ago that I finally found out how to do it (for want of a better explanation). I do know that actually writing is a lot different to what I ever imagined it to be, it is a far more involving experience than I expected. I've tried to explain the difference as: writing is to reading as reading is to watching a movie. And now I've started I find I can't stop ... not sure about "can't", I've not actually tried, I don't want to try. So my answer to the first question is simply: Because I want to, it gives me pleasure. There are other things I could be doing (often there are other things that I should be doing), but writing is what I want to do.

The unstated: Why do you want others to read what you write?

This is one I'm still trying to work out. Yes I do want others to read my books, I would dearly love others to find that reading my books put them in the same place I find myself while writing them ... but I don't know if that's realistic. I know what joy I get from reading some books, it would be a buzz to think that my work could do the same for others ... but I don't know if that's realistic either. It's an odd dichotomy. I've never really wanted to be famous (though I think I'd like to give rich a try ), but I do like idea that people would might like what I've done. ... Maybe dadioflex is right, though it's not something I'd ever thought of myself before.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote