View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 04:46 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
That's what I thought all along, fastboot is like the swiss knife for running custom code
In android it can also boot custom images like "fastboot boot boot.img", can the one on kindle do this? If it's the case, easiest way to make a recovery tool would be to create a custom recovery image with tools to export partitions over usb, and even performs automatical checks. This could also allow installing additional code using flashable .zip, like on android.
Yes, it can load and run custom images, but the USB Downloader mode built into these CPU SoC chips can also do most of what fastboot does. The benefit of fastboot is that it is "cross-platform".

I have not developed for android before. I do not have an android device (yet). So this idea of recovery (or jailbreaking) by installing an image file is new to me. It was a long and convoluted path for me, as I slowly came to this conlusion, beginning with my "kindle touch serial port recovery" thread, through the "kindle select boot" thread, and ending with this new "fastboot manifesto" thread.

I am currently in agreement with you about fastboot.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote