View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I nominate The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin.

Amazon US - USD$9.99 | Amazon UK - £5.99 | Amazon CA - CDN$10.99 | Amazon AU - AUD$11.99 | Kobo US - USD$9.99 | Kobo UK - £5.99 | Kobo CA - CAD$10.99 | Kobo AU AUD$11.99

Description from Goodreads:
Quote:
A groundbreaking work of science fiction, The Left Hand of Darkness tells the story of a lone human emissary to Winter, an alien world whose inhabitants can choose -and change - their gender. His goal is to facilitate Winter's inclusion in a growing intergalactic civilization. But to do so he must bridge the gulf between his own views and those of the completely dissimilar culture that he encounters.

Embracing the aspects of psychology, society, and human emotion on an alien world, The Left Hand of Darkness stands as a landmark achievement in the annals of intellectual science fiction.
I see it was nominated, but not selected, 2 years ago on the literary club, and it seems likely that many here will have already read this, but for me it was far too many years ago and I would like to revisit it. It seems an ideal match to this theme.

For the age of it the book is still quite expensive, but I expect you should be able to get it fairly easily at libraries.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote