View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Well...I assume the ePub 3 will work...but only on devices/apps that support ePub3. The problem is that there are very few devices/apps that support it...right now. Developers ARE working on it, but we are definitely in the beginning stages of adoption. I wouldn't say they are trying to "rip you off" unless they are trying to tell you that it will work on "all devices".

It is possible to create an ePub 2+3, which is a hybrid that can be used on any device. Devices that do not support the advanced features of ePub3 (video, audio, etc) would only show the ePub2. Devices that do support ePub3 would display all of the advanced features.
[disclaimer] I have not created or worked with ePub 2-3, but you can see examples of them at the Azardi website.
A lot of the ePub 2 software would probably have issues with the ePub 3 parts of the code.

Most 99% of the ePub compatible reading software out there doesn't handle ePub 3. So to pay to have an ePub 3 made is a waste of money. It won't work on most eInk Readers and most iOS/Android apps won't handle it. Also, when it gets validated, it will fail. Stores won't sell it and customers won't buy it even if the stores sold it.

The best thing to do is train people who can do the conversion to ePub in-house and not worry about external companies who do a poor conversion. There's a thread on issues with eBooks.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204925
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote