View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Mobipocket announcements at IDPF conference

The following is an expansion upon the notes I took during the talk given by Martin Gorner, the President & CEO of Mobipocket.

Mobi Desktop 6.2 can import EPUB, and will auto-convert an EPUB file to Mobi format so you can read it. He demonstrated this during the presentation.

The next version of Mobi Creator and Mobigen will also support EPUB creation.

By the end of the year, Mobipocket will release updated readers for the various platforms, as well as release a new reader for the Apple iPhone.

Mr. Gorner also said that sales of Mobipocket format e-books have doubled since last year, while giving a breakdown of users by device. I wasn't quite fast enough to get all the data, but I can tell you it's 43 percent Windows Mobile, 23 percent Palm, 6% proprietary (iRex iLiad, Pepper-Pad, etc). The number of Palm users is shrinking, both as a percentage and as an absolute number.

---

When Gorner demoed EPUB support, I was under the impression that Mobi Desktop can read EPUB natively. Well, I just tested it, and my copy of 6.2 converted the EPUB file to Mobi before opening it. Either way, it's a nice step forward!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote