View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolomydear View Post

I work for a small publisher and we are just starting to create ePubs and Kindle versions of our books for our customers.

I was able to create an ePub version of a book from InDesign and used Calibre to convert it to a .Mobi version to sell on amazon for Kindle.

However, my boss would like me to add links to the TOC and notes within the text. Can someone explain to me how to do this? We sell the ePub versions on our site as well as the Kindle version on amazon, so I need to figure out how to link the TOC and notes in both versions.

If it has to do with the coding, I will need very detailed directions, as I am a complete dunce when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Thank you so much in advance!
@lolomydear:

First, in epubs, you use a linking mechanism to auto-generate a TOC; in Sigil you would do it with header tags (h1-h6), and the same thing for Kindle files (.mobis, .prc or .azw).

HOWEVER, be warned that the Calibre conversion from epub to .mobi does NOT produce an Amazon-suitable file. I love Calibre, don't get me wrong, but when Amazon introduced the Kindle For PC (K4PC), they introduced a requirement for additional header space, so that they (Amazon) can embed a second layer of encryption (a session ID) for the files that will be read on a PC. If you try to download your Calibre-generated .mobi file from Amazon (as a buyer) to your K4PC, it won't work.

HTH,

Hitch
I Produce EBooks.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote