View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
andrusz
andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kindle K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
As for the filenames. According to my understanding, under FW 2.0.0 filenames were UTF-8 encoded, with later FWs they were 2-byte unicode encoded. And this is how I encoded them in my dictionary (namely 2-byte unicode). But sometimes it is hard to say what kind of encoding conversions are executed behind the screen (by the OS or decompressing tools.)
I think new Japanese dictionary has Shift_JIS filenames (used by MS Windows Japanese version). I am going to install Japanese Windows and investigate it more deeply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering
I meant to say that if a dictionary file is named dicthtml-jp.zip the reader will call a search routine that works very special.
I understand. So it requires more work to prepare one

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering
Does not work for me. Which FW are you on?
My Kobo has firmware 2.2.0. Be sure the name contains known language abbrevations like dicthtml-ja-nl.zip or dicthtml-ja-es.zip

You can easily check it is installed:
- open any english book
- activate a dictionary by touching a word
- click on A/Z icon and choose "Translation dictionary"
Your new dictionary should be on the list.
andrusz is offline   Reply With Quote