View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #63
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm quite sure Catlady isn't reading this, but from the point of view of the sheep, this seems to me to be pretty idyllic. They have a good life; they're largely left to live on their own but with built in protections against the vagaries of nature and, this is the key element, this is how they got to have a life. And for sheep in the wild, the end mostly can't be pretty, either.
Au contraire, I have been reading the comments. I will agree that if you have to be slaughtered, probably roaming around in a field (I assume) is better that being penned up and tortured on a factory farm, but they still end up killed for no good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The second, and perhaps most important in some ways, is the very real need to maintain biodiversity in a time of climate change. By protecting heritage breeds of animals, and heritage varieties of plants, we improve the chances for all varieties and breeds in a rapidly changing environment. Oh, and not insignificantly (close your eyes, Catlady), we improve the taste of the food we eat!
So let's maintain biodiversity by not killing those sheep for food, and eating those nice tasty veggies instead.

Even before I was a vegetarian, I never ate lamb. It horrified me as a child--lambs seemed too real and cute.

Generally, the comments are making me quite glad I didn't read the book, beyond my aversion to animal slaughter. The author sounds like quite the reverse snob, with a dash of hypocrisy to boot.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote