View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #74
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand.
In other words, the problem with hating "big government" (a phrase which is tragic in its clumsiness) is that less governing means even less representation for the ordinary voter and dangerous permissions for those whose citizen-abusing urges are only held in check by regulation and monitoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
[P]eople will start blaming the government for this instead of looking for the puppeteer.
I agree with the above statement.

What I'm not quite understanding is this: how wizwor's advocacy of lobbying for the return of cable bandwidth to the government is an embrace of crypto-capitalism. It sounds to me like an action which condemns deregulation -- not because of the involvement of the consumer, but because the result would be to reclaim once-public property (i.e., cable bandwidth).

It sounds as if you're disagreeing with the libertarian spin which is often applied to consumer activism: That consumers don't need government regulation because their buying power is sufficient.

But I don't think wizwor is saying that buying power is a substitute for regulation and government-agency monitoring. I think he's implying that buying power can help to create momentum for regulation in the otherwise profit-Wild West.

I do see how his telling us all to buy antennas could be seen in that light, but I didn't take it that way.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-28-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote