Thread: Literary Owls Do Cry by Janet Frame
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 02:00 AM   #12
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I finished the book some days ago, the end of voting was a convenient time for me to start a new one and I found too that the prose flowed by pretty fast. I have a general low opinion of most NZ fiction - for now that comment may be taken for this book as being a leading or misleading one .

What I can say for now though is that from my local position I found all the events, general depictions of the culture, colloquialisms, etc. as being correct and believable even if not commonplace, but perhaps one or two events seeming to be passed quickly over.
Thanks; it's interesting hearing the thoughts on a book and its depictions of the country by someone from that country.

Though I'm not to halfway yet, I can already tell I really like Frame as a writer and feel she should probably be more famous outside of NZ.

I think this is the very first Kiwi book I've ever read if I'm not mistaken. I've seen a number of films and series from or set there, including the aforementioned Hunt, as well as The Piano (one of my all-time favourites), The Quiet Earth (also one of my all-time faves), Top of the Lake, What We Do in the Shadows, Flight of the Conchords (not set there but very NZ influenced with Kiwi stars). All were great and I'd recommend any of them, but somehow I've never read a book from the country until now.

Last edited by sun surfer; 06-30-2020 at 02:04 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote