Thread: Literary Owls Do Cry by Janet Frame
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 10:42 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I have finished Part 1 (childhood) and am now reading Part 2 (20 years later). The prose is very interesting. I can't think of another book quite like it. I want to say it's weaving a tapestry through the repetition of words, events, biblical and fairy tale references, etc. Although, perhaps it is tangled wool to use a phrase from the book with its change in characters and time frames, and it's more like the story is pulling threads apart to unweave them.

I started to do a little research on the author's life and her own struggles with mental health, including 8 years spent in the hospital receiving 200 electroshock treatments. She was about to have a lobotomy when a hospital official read that she had won a literary prize, and then she was released.

AnotherCat, I am looking forward to hearing what you have to say about what represents typical New Zealand fiction and how this does or doesn't represent that.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote