View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #33
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Greed short circuits the brain.
Consider the second sentence below from the OP article (reached via public library paid-for access):

Quote:
Macmillan will continue to sell its e-books to libraries for a two-year period, or 52 lends for $60 per book copy. One copy of each title will be sold on a perpetual-use basis for $30.
A couple decades of rent, for shelf space alone, comes to more than $30 for other than the thinnest paper books. So those greedy you know what seem, to me, to be offering libraries a bargain.

As for the library patron waiting a year or two, for the one copy, that seems to me a totally fair trade-off between freedom to read and keeping publishers away from the newspaper industry death march.

I know that's just Macmillan. And waiting for one copy in Wyoming won't be the same as waiting for one copy in Chicago. But I commend this.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote