View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #4
pjmpjm
Zealot
pjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Fire HD 10
Using CC to Transfer Books to Fire HD 10

First, my apologies to the moderator for going on and on the in wrong forum. I was so excited to get answers to my vexed problems that I didn't stop to think!

chaley . . . curiouser and curiouser . . . I changed my CC transfer settings back to 'Books' and restarted everything. Now the newly transferred books do in fact show up on my 'Recent' and/or 'Books' as per normal! Like the old Kindle Fire carousel. But when I check down into the directories with ES, I see that these newly transferred books are now the ONLY (sorry to shout) books placed there. ALL my other earlier books are still residing in 'Documents' and yet still showing up on the Kindle screen under 'Books' . . . which, as you say, is quite contrary to what we'd expect from earlier versions of Fire. Anyhow, it's getting very late indeed here in Oz and although my head is spinning, I think you've given me great hope indeed that my troubles are near an end. I'm very, very grateful for your help! Those default settings for CC mystified me and made me wonder what was so great about CC. But now, if CC will faithfully transfer my books to my Fire without the USB cable, I can forget (at least for now) why the previously excellent cable transfer route suddenly stopped working. I hope that the next you hear from me (after I get some sleep) will be with further good news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
That is strange. "Books" is what works on both my Fire 7" and my older Kindle Fire 8". It is also where other CC users with Fire tablets say the books should go. Note: the books must not be in a subfolder of Books. They must be in Books itself.
No idea why. That folder is empty on my Fire. And I doubt they will show up normally. That sounds like a place for "personal documents", not for books.
CC is trying to match the books in that folder with the books in calibre so that the calibre on-device indicator works. To do this it must send the metadata for the books in the chosen folder back to calibre for analysis. Because the books are amazon-format (not EPUB), CC sends the actual book back to calibre. If you don't want CC to do this, go to Settings / Connecting to Calibre / Wireless Device Connection and uncheck the "Scan on connect" option. Unchecking this box means that calibre's on-device will work only for books transferred with CC.
pjmpjm is offline   Reply With Quote