View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmpjm View Post
Thanks again, Chaley. Much appreciated. The first thing I noticed this evening is that by default CC puts my transferred books into the Fire 'Books' directory in the main memory . . . or so says my 'ES File Explorer' (or whatever the Android equivalent of 'File Explorer' is called) but that's NOT where all my other Kindle books have gone by default. And the books there in 'Books' do NOT show up on the new equivalent of the old 'carousel.' (This seems to be at odds with what you reported about your own Fire.)
That is strange. "Books" is what works on both my Fire 7" and my older Kindle Fire 8". It is also where other CC users with Fire tablets say the books should go. Note: the books must not be in a subfolder of Books. They must be in Books itself.
Quote:
Anyhow, searching the main directory, I found, quite unexpected, that all of my Fire books of all formats were clustered in the 'Documents' directory together with all the genuine documents. I then naively reasoned that 'Documents' is where books need to go, if they're to show up 'normally' on the Fire. (Mind you, I didn't put the books into 'Documents' manually . . . that's where all my Kindle books went automatically.
No idea why. That folder is empty on my Fire. And I doubt they will show up normally. That sounds like a place for "personal documents", not for books.
Quote:
So I carefully changed all my 'transfer settings' in CC to that 'Documents' directory. However, when I then re-connected CC to my computer, a flurry of book transfers started taking place (I have 16,000 ebooks in my Calibre Library) so I stopped it immediately. As you wrote at first, you'd think that CC would drop the books by default into the correct directory, so that they'd show up on the device.
CC is trying to match the books in that folder with the books in calibre so that the calibre on-device indicator works. To do this it must send the metadata for the books in the chosen folder back to calibre for analysis. Because the books are amazon-format (not EPUB), CC sends the actual book back to calibre. If you don't want CC to do this, go to Settings / Connecting to Calibre / Wireless Device Connection and uncheck the "Scan on connect" option. Unchecking this box means that calibre's on-device will work only for books transferred with CC.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote