View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No; I scanned directly at 150dpi to (pretty much) match the resolution of the device. I'm reasonably happy with the way that most of them have come out. Remember that these are 1890s magazine illustrations, so the originals are not exactly "high quality"!
Your copy of these Sidney Paget illustrations seems to be a bit different than mine (same illustrations, just different reproduction). I've scanned in the first 6 images from "A Scandal In Bohemia", at 150DPI. I didn't put any effort into hiding the bleed through from the backside, and I didn't play with the contrast any (either you lightened the contrast on yours, or your source copy is lighter than mine... my copy of the illustrations tend towards the dark side). Sometimes mine are larger (physically, not storage-wise) than yours, sometimes smaller. I didn't know what JPG compression value you used, so I just picked one (30) that seemed to result in acceptable appearance and small file size. My file sizes are roughly the same or smaller than yours.

Your images, while better contrast, are a bit blurry and show the 'interlace' pattern of the newspaper printing (which my don't seem to). I know that my copies could be improved a bit by playing with the contrast (I tried it on one, just to see).

Anyway, I'm attaching those first six images to this message (first time I've attached anything on MR, so hopefully it will work okay...) for you to see. If you'd like me to scan more in for you, I'll be glad to.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip first6.zip (307.3 KB, 505 views)
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote