View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
What drives me crazy is the number of different DRM's out there for the same format. For example, I think Barns and Nobles uses their own DRM on Epub's versus Adept Epub versus whatever Apple uses for their Epubs.

1 DRM scheme with 1 standardized format I can live with. 3 different DRM's on one format makes me want to abandon ebooks.
* Apple's format can only be sold to those who own devices which can read Apple's format, so it's more-or-less irrelevant at this point.

* B&N's new format is going to be supported by future mobile devices using Adobe Mobile DE.

* B&N's new format is arguably better than standard Adobe; rather than tying it to the Adobe account, it works like the old eReader one where there's a key based on name/credit card number. As long as you have those, you can use it on any future device supporting the format; no need to worry about activation like with MS Reader/old Adobe ePub, or servers still willing to issue you the book like Mobipocket.

It's frustrating, but I think that B&N's new DRM will eventually be for the better.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote