View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One might perhaps say that. Take a look at the Wiki article on Zork for an example of what IF looks like.

You can play Zork online at:

http://thcnet.net/zork/index.php

Gives an indication of what those of us who grew up in the '80s on text adventures used to consider "state of the art" . It's perhaps difficult for some of us to appreciate the fact that many MR members will have never come across them. They really were a "staple" of '80s home computers, but some MR members won't even have been born when their popularity was at its height in the mid 80s.
I remember playing Zork 1983 calling in to the mainframe computer at the university using a 300 baud modem. Reading the wikipedia entry I see that the home computer version was available at that time but we did not have any suitable computer to run it on so we played the original mainframe version.

It is fun to see questions like "is Zork like MUD without other players" (which it kind of is but maybe not so much NPC interactions like in a MUD). When MUD appeared it was more a question of describing MUD in term of well known things like Zork.

Also look at the Wikipedia entry for interactive fiction and you will see that there are different "schools". Some emphasizes the narrative function which is the kind of games I like.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote