View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #916
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Exclamation

Micah,

Here are, to my mind, the top 4 features that Bluefire Reader needs to improve in order to be able to compete with Marvin. As I see it, Marvin is by now clearly superior over Bluefire Reader, despite being a much younger app. Marvin has now completely replaced Stanza for me -- in fact, it's now better than Stanza ever was.

The one theoretical advantage Bluefire has over Marvin -- electronic library lending -- is not available for me, because like Wulf said, nothing like that seems to exist here in Central Europe. As to DRM-protected books: whenever I buy a book, I'm convinced I'm entitled to read it using the best currently available software, and I proceed accordingly.

Here are the 3 things Bluefire Reader is currently missing:
  • paragraph spacing (very important)
  • line spacing (less important)
  • better annotations functionality (crucial!)
The last one is the dealbreaker for me. If I remember correctly, Bluefire only offers a single highlight color. That's not enough -- Marvin and iBooks both offer 5 highlight colours. Marvin allows you to export, import, share and restore all highlights and annotations using the HTML or CSV formats -- it's absolutely unique in this regard, as far as I'm aware. Until Bluefire equals Marvin in this respect, I can't even consider reading books in Bluefire.

In addition to the 3 missing features listed above, there is that long-standing Bluefire bug discussed earlier in this thread: difficulty to highlight words with ease. Try highlighting the same passage in Bluefire and Marvin -- it's a breeze in Marvin, but it's a struggle in Bluefire.

In any case, good luck with your app, Micah, and I hope you can give Marvin some serious competition in future! Competition will only make both Bluefire and Marvin better and better.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote